Avoiding the Laundry

The rantings of a 40 year old woman with too many kids, too many animals, too many opinions and not enough anger pills.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Dinosaur Cats

I have been fostering animals for a few years now. I take in cats, dogs, the occasional smaller pet, and lately orphaned kittens. I try to get them healthy, socialized, and then we find homes for them.
Because I network with a few other Rescues in the area, I sometimes get a call or email from someone who has been told I might have the pet they are looking for. Since the person who gave my number to today's caller is not someone I've actually ever spoken with, I have no idea if the intention was to make my day or destroy it. In any case- here is a perfect example of why some people should not own pets:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: Hello?
Dimwitted Caller: Hi, this is Dimwitted Caller? I got your name from blahdy blah Rescue?
yes- the interrogatory whi-i-i-ine....???
Me: What can I do for you?
DC: I'm looking for a Pterodactyl kitten? Preferably white? And it needs to be a boy because I already have a Pterodactyl girl and I want to breed them?
ah, yes, any good Rescue wants to give you a kitten to breed.
but, wait, WHAT did she ask for? PTERODACTYL? Like the flying dinosaur?
hee hee....
ahem...
Me: Pterodactyl?
DC: You know the ones that have extra toesies?
I swear to god, she called them toesies.
Me: You mean POLYdactyl?
DC: No, the kind with extra toes on their feet. There are some kinds of cats with extra toesies that are called Pterodactyls.
Me: Those are called Polydactyls, or sometimes Hemingways. I don't have any kittens right now, but to be honest, I don't sell unaltered cats for breeding anyway.
DC: I guess I'll have to look for a Pterodactyl somewhere else. I googled "Pterodactyl Cats", and I've asked a whole bunch of Rescues, but no one has any and I can't find a breeder... My Pterodactyl really is ready to be a mommy and I know that she can only be bred with another Pterodactyl... I just don't know what to do...???
ah ha!
this is wrong on so many levels that I am stumped for moment- a fork in the conversational road has been reached.
to educate or cut my losses?
Me: Well, try looking up "Pterodactyl Breeders " and see if there are any breeders there. Make sure you spell it the right way--- starts with a "T". Good luck!
DC: Okay,Thanks- bye bye!
Me: Bye bye

1 Comments:

  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger hughman said…

    i'm a little impressed i "passed the test" for polly!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home